Archive for April, 2017

An Important and Well-written Rallying Cry

Thursday, April 27th, 2017

Jamie Collins wrote “A Rallying Cry Against Rogue Paralegals” posted on The Paralegal Society webpage. Here’s her motivation quoted from the article:
For starters, I believe 99% of paralegals are ethical people, who do their jobs with integrity, and do it well. …

Aside from the aforementioned 99%, the remaining (incredibly loosely estimated) 1% of paralegals, it seems, may consist of some shifty folks who tend to straddle the ethical lines. I write this post today as a rallying cry to ALL paralegals across the United States. I’m talking to every paralegal reading this post who gives a damn about the profession and our reputation as “paralegals.”

It is, as I say in the title of this post, both important for the paralegal profession and well-written. Please take the time to read it.

Wow! 46 years. Congratulations on your retirement!

Friday, April 21st, 2017

Fort Washington-Based Paralegal Retires After 46-Year Career
“Pat believes and lives with a purpose and a dedication that helps improve everyone around her, and these qualities are palpable.”
FMI: https://patch.com/pennsylvania/plymouthwhitemarsh/fort-washington-based-paralegal-retires-after-46-year-career

Scholarship News from NFPA

Thursday, April 20th, 2017

NFPA is now accepting applications for our 2017 NFPA/Thomson Reuters Scholarships. All completed applications must be post-marked by July 1 in order to be considered.
There are two scholarships: first place scholarship is $3000 and second place scholarship is $2000. They will be awarded at the NFPA Annual Convention in New Orleans in October. Winners will be announced by September 15. This has always been a great way for our students to earn scholarship money for their paralegal education! Those applying do not need to be a member of NFPA. Remind students to follow the instructions for the deadline and documents required for the application packet, along with the essay.
Download the Thomson Reuters Scholarship Application
Additional information, including the application and judging criteria for all NFPA awards is available on the Awards and Scholarships page of the website.
Get more information about NFPA awards and scholarships!
On another note, if you have an current students or graduates who are interested in taking PACE or PCCE exams, there are also scholarships, but applications must be a member of NFPA (can be member through their local paralegal association who is a member of NFPA).
The link can be found at http://www.paralegals.org./ The scholarship links are under the Announcements section on the home page. For these scholarships, click on either the 2017 PACE Scholarship or 2017 PCCE Scholarship.

Best of luck to your students! If you have questions, contact Beth King, RP, at Education_coord@paralegals.org.

ASLP Use Increasing

Thursday, April 6th, 2017

Via Chere Estrin at The Estrin Report we have this article, Law Firms Increasingly Using Alternative Legal Service Providers.  by Tami Kamin Meyers for Progressive Law Practice.

The premise for the article is this: “According to a new study (PDF) recently released by Thomson Reuters, Georgetown University Law Center’s Center for the Study of the Legal Profession and the University of Oxford Said Business School, more than half of large law firms and 60% of corporate law departments say they utilize alternative legal service providers (ASLP) to assist them with their burgeoning caseloads.” It’s an interesting read.